Five questions with Selena Gomez

Selena Gomez won't turn 19 until July 22, but the Texas native is quickly becoming one of today's biggest pop culture personalities.

Gomez, who grew up on the small screen with roles in "Barney and Friends" and the Disney Channel's "Wizards of Waverly Place," released her third album, "When the Sun Goes Down" on Tuesday, and Friday she's starring in the feature film "Monte Carlo," a light romantic comedy where she plays an American who, while traveling to Paris, is mistaken for a British socialite and then assumes her identity.

Besides her busy schedule, which included a whirlwind 10-city promotional tour that landed at Livonia's Laurel Park Place on Monday and a forthcoming summer concert tour, she's also found herself at the center of a never-ending tabloid frenzy surrounding "Baby"-singing sensation Justin Bieber, one of the most popular stars on the planet.

During a visit to "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" in September, Gomez referred to him as her "little brother." But after the two attended the Vanity Fair Oscar party together at the end of February and found themselves the focus of some sun-soaked paparazzi pictures from Hawaii at the end of May, the romantic speculation was on. Bieber was even pictured last week at the New York City red-carpet premiere of "Monte Carlo."

And while her national publicity team requested that this interview at the Townsend Hotel in Birmingham focus on this week's two big releases, WKQI-FM (95.5)'s "Mojo in the Morning" show last week was able to get Gomez to admit to an isn't-it-obvious recognition before moving off the Bieber subject.

QUESTION: What attracted you to "Monte Carlo"?

ANSWER: For me, it was a really fun project to make because I got to play two characters. I also appreciated the different messages behind it: There's this very sweet story that encourages girls to travel with their friends. And there's a lesson about being comfortable with yourself because sometimes things aren't better on the other side.

I think it's a really fun girly movie that is sweet and heartfelt and not as loud and crazy as all these huge summer blockbusters.

Q: In the movie there's a case of mistaken identity as your character, Grace, pretends to be obnoxious British socialite Cordelia. Do you ever wish that you could have a Selena substitute?


A: I've actually been mistaken for people, like Rachel Bilson and Vanessa Hudgens. I have always taken that as a compliment as they're both really pretty. But I've never met any fans or heard of anyone that could sub for me.

(Laughs) I mean it would be nice to have a time out for a bit and have someone else do all the work, but I really do love what I do.

Q: For a lot of young stars, there seems to be a point in their career where they have to take a role that shatters the stereotype. Are you thinking about that?

A: Yes, I am thinking about my career and the film roles I take now that will help me grow over time. But I don't want there to be a shock value element to it. I don't want it to be sprung on people and leave people with the thought that, "Why on Earth would she go from 'Monte Carlo' to that?"

When it comes to my film career, I want it to be a gradual evolution; where people can definitely see a difference and my own growth but it not be a complete shock to my fans.

Q: Your new album, "When the Sun Goes Down," was released Tuesday. Have you thought about focusing on one specific art form?


A: I love performing, whether it's going on tour this summer or acting. I think, obviously, this is a crucial point for me in my career.

I want to choose movie roles that allow me to grow, that don't keep me in the same place. ... I'm hoping to keep growing and then, maybe, just stick to one thing. Hopefully I'll find longevity in movies.

Q: You'll be on a summer tour with your band, the Scene. Are you excited about taking the new music out?

A: I am really excited about the tour and what we did with this album. I'm slowly having more creative control and having more people believe in me more. ...

On this new record I feel so fortunate. There are songs that Britney Spears and Katy Perry cowrote, so I feel very honored. I can't help it: I get really excited because those are people that I look up to, and to have them on my album is incredible to me. I'm a huge fan of both of them. It's a little dream of mine come true.
Contas Premium
Compartilhe este filme: :

Post a Comment

 
Support : Baixartemplatesnovos.blogspot.com
Copyright © 2012-2014. Sometimes Blonde - todos os direitos reservados para

CINEHD- o melhor site de filmes online