"Mom" (Blast From the Past Entry)

Wow, I miss my great-grandma. This was a MySpace blog which was open to all readers.

I'm trying to formulate another present-day entry. Nikki and I are having a problem which I don't want to discuss here. It has to do with trust issues. I'm naturally paranoid, so when something comes along to spark that... well, I don't get over it easy. That's extremely vague, but a few people reading this may figure out what I'm referring to anyway. Others, well... sorry. It is a private matter, but it has me late with replying to emails, and lacking of spirit for new blog entries. We'll figure it out... of that I am confident. It'll just take a little time.








Friday, May 05, 2006
----------------------

Current mood: nostalgic

My great-grandmother passed away last Sunday evening, April 30th, 2006. I really miss her a lot, but she lived a very long and full life, and was very active for someone her age, at least until the last few months. We all called her Mom. Let me tell you a bit about her.

Mom was born on June 3rd, 1906. Yes, she would have been 100 years old next month! She was born in Germany, and I inherited my German heritage from her. Mom came over to America by boat with her parents, when she was a little girl. They lived in Astoria, Queens (New York) for many years. When Mom met her husband (who died before I was born), they opened a very successful deli/convenience store. This set them up very nicely to retire in their later years.

They got a second house in Bay Shore, New York... right on the bay. They also bought a summer home in upstate New York. We visited them there quite a few times, and I remember riding my bike down that long winding road (it was the only road in that area)... as well as boating in the lake nearby... and watching the bats at night (I love bats!). Mom's husband's good friend also moved in with them at some point. They had two beagles, Salt and Pepper (long before the band, hehe), and they hunted with those dogs (which I could forgive, since they hunted for food, not for mere sport), caught fish, went clamming, and caught other things like eel (it's goooood!) and crab (yumm!). I have many fond memories of riding their houseboat, helping them steer the boat, and fishing. I never once got seasick (I guess I'm immune?). The only activity I refused to take part in was cleaning the fish or crabs. Yuck! Anyway, I just figured I'd let you all know how great a woman my great-grandmother was. I'm glad she got a chance to meet my daughter and spend time with her. Just think, how many little girls get to meet their great-great-grandmother?!?

Wilfrieda Hruby
June 3rd, 1906 - April 30th, 2006
Rest in Peace


Currently listening:
My Story
By Ayumi Hamasaki
Release date: 05 January, 2005
Contas Premium
Compartilhe este filme: :

Post a Comment

 
Support : Baixartemplatesnovos.blogspot.com
Copyright © 2012-2014. Sometimes Blonde - todos os direitos reservados para

CINEHD- o melhor site de filmes online